Freeman Tennis Courts
The Freeman Tennis Courts are operated by the Borough of Glen Ridge Recreation Department and are located on the corner of Woodland Avenue and Willowdale Avenue in Montclair. Home of the Glen Ridge High School boys' and girls' tennis teams, the facility features six clay courts (court #7 is under construction) and are open seven days a week April through October (weather permitting). Registration and a permit fee is required.
Freeman Tennis Courts COVID-19 Policies/Guidelines – May 2020 (Subject to change)
Per the Borough of Glen Ridge Mayor and Council, and in compliance with CDC guidelines, Freeman Tennis Courts will open on a trial basis on May 23, 2020. All social distancing and other special rules to help limit the spread of COVID-19 listed below must be followed in order for the courts to remain open.
- As of June 12, 2020, doubles play is permitted. When playing doubles, coordinate with your partner to maintain physical distancing. Do not switch ends.
- Courts must be reserved 24 hours in advance by calling the courts 973-509-5362 and speaking to a staff member in person. Reservations cannot be left on the answering machine. If a player finds that he/she cannot make their scheduled court time they immediately notify the staff so that others may use that slot. Players that do not follow the reservation procedure may have their reservation privilege suspended.
- 90-minute maximum court time use.
- Players may not enter the facility until their reservation time. Players must vacate the facility after playing. Only players with reservations are allowed inside the facility. No spectators.
- No washrooms or bathrooms will be provided.
- Players will bring their own water. No water or refrigeration will be provided. No food allowed on site.
- It is recommended to wear a face covering prior to and after playing.
- Players may only touch their own equipment. Avoid touching fences, gates, nets, etc. Players should use their own hand sanitizer before and after play.
- Players should number their own tennis balls with magic marker for easy identification and only serve their own ball. If a player needs to get someone their ball back to serve, he/she should use their racket or foot.
- Players should consider spraying tennis balls briefly with a disinfectant spray at the conclusion of play, or use new tennis balls each next time they play.
- Everyone must maintain social distancing inside and around the perimeter of the facility. There will be no tables and chairs on site in order to prevent gatherings.
- Any players or family members that have displayed any symptoms or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Permits may be revoked for inappropriate behavior such as but not limited to use of foul language and refusal to cooperate with the court time limits and play structure set forth by the court supervisor.
Registration is now open - ON LINE REGISTRATION ONLY – Registration must take place 48 hours in advance of playing:
- Resident Season (through Oct) $200 or $75/month
- Non-Resident (including senior citizens) Season (through Oct) $290 or $110/month
- Senior (55+) Resident Season (through Oct) $80 or $60/month
- Team Member Season (match play only) $70
Register online with Community Pass for Freeman Tennis Courts permits.
Phone: 973-509-5362 (In-season only)