The Freeman Tennis Courts are operated by the Borough of Glen Ridge Recreation Department and are located on the corner of Woodland Avenue and Willowdale Avenue in Montclair. Home of the Glen Ridge High School boys' and girls' tennis teams, the facility features six clay courts (court #7 is under construction) and are open seven days a week April through October (weather permitting). Registration and a permit fee is required.
Freeman Tennis Courts Rules and Policies including COVID-19 Policies/Guidelines
(Updated: March 2021)
In compliance with CDC guidelines, Freeman Tennis Courts will open in early April for the 2021 season. All social distancing and other special rules to help limit the spread of COVID-19 must be followed in order for the courts to remain open. These rules are subject to change without notice.
1. Everyone must maintain social distancing inside and around the perimeter of the facility.
2. Courts must be reserved 24 hours in advance by calling the courts 973-509-5362 and speaking to a staff member in person. Reservations cannot be left on the answering machine.
3. 1.5-hour maximum court time use.
4. Doubles play is permissible.
5. Players should not enter the facility until their reservation time. Players should vacate the facility after playing.
6. Washrooms/bathrooms will be available and will be sanitized periodically.
7. It is recommended to wear a face covering prior to and after playing.
8. It is recommended that players should use their own hand sanitizer before and after play.
9. Any players or family members that have displayed any symptoms or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
10. Permits may be revoked for inappropriate behavior such as but not limited to use of foul language and refusal to cooperate with the court time limits and play structure set forth by the court supervisor.
11. As stated in the original charter, the youth (U18) of Glen Ridge will receive priority as to court scheduling, and permit holders should be aware that court space will be limited during the GRHS boys and girl's tennis seasons.
12. Permit holders must read and agree to the above rules, regulations, instructions and fee schedule concerning use of the Freeman Tennis Courts. Permit holders must agree to reimburse the Borough of Glen Ridge for any damage done to or loss of Borough property resulting from my use of the Freeman Tennis Courts and property. Permit holders must agree to indemnify and save harmless the Borough of Glen Ridge, New Jersey, its members and agents from any and all liability for damages, for injury to the person or property of its owner or another and against and from all suits and actions and all costs and damages (including, without limitation, attorneys' fees and loss of business claims) to which the Borough of Glen Ridge may be put resulting from use of the Freeman Tennis Courts.
Registration is now open - ON LINE REGISTRATION ONLY – Registration must take place 48 hours in advance of playing:
Register online with Community Pass for Freeman Tennis Courts permits.
Phone: 973-509-5362 (In-season only)