Office Of Vital Statistics
Under the direction of the local registrar the Office of Vital Statistics processes and maintains all births, marriages, civil unions, and deaths which take place within the city limits of The Borough of Glen Ridge. This includes ALL births and deaths which occurred at HackensackUMC Hospital previously known as Mountainside Hospital. This office also ensures that all vital records are properly filed with the State Office of Vital Statistics in Trenton. Certified copies of these records are available through this office.
When ordering a copy of a vital record you must first determine the type of copy that will meet your needs.
Types of copies:
To get a copy of a vital record, you must submit:
- Certified copies have the raised seal of the office issuing the record and are always issued on State of New Jersey safety paper. Certified copies may be used to establish identity and are legal documents.
- Certifications are issued on plain paper with no seal and clearly indicate they are not valid for establishing identity or for legal purposes. Certifications are generally only useful for genealogy. Certifications of death records do not contain the Social Security Number or the Cause of Death medical terminology.
- Getting an Apostille Seal - An Apostille Seal is an additional seal required for certain certified records that will be presented to a foreign government that is a member of the Hague Treaty. Also, the seal is often required on documents for international adoptions or establishing dual citizenship. Contact the consulate of the country involved to determine if you need an Apostille Seal.
To get a record with an Apostille Seal, first obtain a certified copy of the vital record from the Office of Vital Statistics and Registry. Indicate on your application that it will need an Apostille Seal, and you will receive a certified copy of the vital record with the original signature of the State Registrar or Assistant State Registrar. You must forward this document to the New Jersey Department of Treasury, which issues the Apostille Seal.
Acceptable forms of identification:
- A completed application
- A copy of the proof(s) of your identity
- $25.00 for first copy, $10.00 for subsequent copies purchased in same transaction, cash or money order for exact amount
- Proof of your relationship to the person listed on the vital record you are requesting
- Valid photo driver's License with current mailing address, OR
- Valid non-photo ID AND an alternate form of ID with current mailing address, OR
- Two alternate forms of identification with current mailing address
Alternate forms of ID are: vehicle registration, vehicle insurance card, voter registration, US/foreign passport, permanent resident card (green card), Immigrant Visa, Federal/State ID, county ID, school ID, utility bill (within the previous 90 days), bank statement (within previous 90 days) or W-2/tax return for current or previous year.
Instructions and Application for a Vital Record from the Borough of Glen Ridge
Requirements When Applying for a Marriage License
For information from the state website visit Vital Records in New Jersey